I have spent the past sixteen years learning how to cook for Matthew. There was definitely a learning curve early on, but over the years it has become easier to navigate the world of allergen free cooking. Along the way, I’ve had many opportunities to share what I’ve learned with other people who are in varying stages of their allergy journeys. The allergy mama in me is always looking for ways to ease the road these food allergy kids travel, to help them feel included, to give them a bit of normalcy. And that is why I make the effort for my kids as well as other kids who cross my path. And every once in a while, I get a peek into just how much a simple thing can make a difference in the life of a child.
One of the girls in my primary activity group has very recently needed to go dairy free. Her allergy testing says she isn’t allergic, but she isn’t tolerating dairy well at all so they are thinking it is an intolerance and are avoiding all milk products so she doesn’t feel sick all the time. As I prepared a little Christmas gift for the girls, it took me all of about 2 minutes to assemble a dairy free hot chocolate mix to replace the Swiss Miss the other girls got. But it made an impact in her life and her mom was sweet enough to share that moment with me.
And that is why I do it. Even when it takes me longer than 2 minutes.

No comments:
Post a Comment