Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Sunday, December 24, 2023

Simply Joyful

In my attempts to simplify my life, which is always an ongoing task for me, I occasionally need to remind myself that simplifying doesn’t mean eliminating everything that is whimsical and fun. For many people, making themed pancakes would be an activity that could easily be tossed out the window. And to be honest, I’ve considered skipping this particular element of our Christmas traditions this year. But thinking about having normal pancakes on Christmas Eve made me sad. Simplifying should bring feelings of relief or calm. If I’m feeling down about my attempts to make things less complicated, that is a sign to me that I’ve trying to cut out something that really matters to me and brings me joy. So, after weeks of vainly attempting to be ok with normal pancakes, I gave in to my inner child and pulled out the food coloring.

This year’s creations were a similitude of what I feel like when pancake art is not a part of my celebrations.

The kiddos, the ones who were at home anyway, were happy to jump on the Grinchy bandwagon. And then Malia branched out and created Kermit. And yes, our creations made me happy!




No comments: