Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Saturday, December 17, 2022

Yuletide Delights-Part IV

Today’s holiday creation was another old favorite. We used to make candy cane cookies every year, but for some reason we stopped making them a few years back. I’m not sure why, but Malia didn’t even remember these little sweets, so I figured I’d better get my act together and quit neglecting her childhood just because the boys are all getting quite grown up. 😜 

When they were young the boys liked helping make all the Christmas cookies, but the candy cane ones were always the favorites when it came to enthusiasm for the creating. It is probably because they kind of got to do whatever they wanted. I would show them how to form the candy canes, but then their creativity always burst out and we ended up with peppermint striped assorted shapes. I think it is because forming the dough is a lot like handling playdough and since playdough is all about making whatever shapes you want, making these cookies inspires an undeniable urge to create whatever your mind can think up. 

My playdough hypothesis was proven correct today. I showed Malia how to make the candy canes, but she quickly (like on her second cookie) diverged from the standard cane form and made a variety of braids, twirls, twists, and even a bit of tie dye. Not only that, but she actually said that the cookie dough reminded her of playdough! She also very much enjoyed sampling the baked cookies, helping me taste test the broken ones . And joking that if we ate them all now, the boys would never have to know they existed. 😂



I feel like I gained two points for this particular activity-one for reintroducing a family favorite and one for some good one-on-one mother/daughter time.

No comments: