We are a waffle eating family. With Matthew’s need to eat waffles made with eggs on a regular basis, they have become a weekend staple. Waffles are not as versatile as pancakes when it comes to fun food, but on occasion I have found a creative way to make waffles fit whatever theme I’m working on. Over the past few years, I’ve had my eyes on some cute, themed waffle irons, the mini ones that are all the rage of late. Earlier this fall I happened upon a box set of two Halloween themed irons and decided it was time to give them a try.
This morning we ate pumpkin waffles shaped like pumpkins and apple butter waffles in the shape of tiny skulls. With the ever-appropriate black cinnamon syrup as accompaniment, they were tasty little bites of Halloween themed fun. Having said that, it obviously took a lot longer to cook enough to feed five of us. Waffles are usually pretty quick around here because we have two family sized waffles irons, but the two itty bitties simply aren’t able to crank out waffles in as large a quantity as the bigger appliances. But they were definitely fun! In future, I would probably make the waffles earlier and keep them warm in the oven, maybe even make them in advance and reheat them in the oven. That way breakfast won’t still be cooking at lunch time. 😜


No comments:
Post a Comment