Nathan has wanted to be a temple worker since about five minutes after he went to the temple for his own endowment. He has a deep and abiding love for the temple and the work we do there, and his desire to spend time there has led him to go as often as he can. One of the tender mercies associated with his early homecoming from Texas has been the speed at which he was called and set apart as a temple ordinance worker. The longest part has been waiting to begin since last week Saturday was general conference and our temple was closed for cleaning the Saturday before that. But he was finally able to begin his service today and despite the fact that he still has a significant headache, he found great joy in serving today and is already looking forward to his shift next Saturday.
As part of this first day of service, he was given a tour of the temple and learned some interesting things. We all know that the temples are adorned with numerous works of art depicting the Savior, people from the scriptures, events of the restoration, etc. One of my favorite things to do as I wait in the temple for one thing or another is to enjoy the artwork and I’ve always been certain that each one was carefully selected to bring the right spirit into the temple. But one tidbit Nathan learned today and shared with me is that the temple design committee not only gives much thought and attention to which works of art are to be housed in the temple, but the location of each piece is also very carefully selected. As he spends time in the temple, he was encouraged to look at each painting and ponder what we can learn from that particular painting being placed in precisely that spot.
As I think about several paintings that have particularly caught my attention when I’m in the temple, my mind is already working on why they would have been placed where they are. I am looking forward to the opportunity to ponder on and learn from the placement as well as the subject of the various works of art as I attend various temples in the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment