Last night Matthew’s marching band competition was held at BYU. He has been an avid BYU fan for years, so the opportunity to play and march on the Cougar’s homefield was super exciting for him. Unfortunately, it was not a great performance, and he came home disappointed in how they did. However, that did not dim his enthusiasm for the fact that he had played in the stadium!
Tuesdays are young men activity nights and since this particular competition happened to fall on a Tuesday evening, Matthew suggested to his leaders that they attend the competition for this week’s activity. They decided to do so, and I was so glad! It was a sign to Matthew that what he does matters and that they are supportive of him. Over the past many years, the young men activities have been heavily focused on sports (mostly basketball) and outdoor recreation like hiking and camping. None of those things are particularly interesting to Matthew and he (and Nathan before him) has long bemoaned the fact that there has been no variety in their activities. We have some new leaders right now though, and I think it has been good. And as I said before, I’m so glad they decided to drive down to see Matthew march. Even though this particular performance was not great, Matthew was so pleased by their attendance.






No comments:
Post a Comment