When I got married, I was certain that I wanted a Kitchenaid mixer. I used the industrial Kitchenaids when I worked in veg prep at BYU and they were great. Kevin’s mom had a compact Bosch though, and he had a feeling I would really like the Bosch better due to the larger motor and the fact that his mom’s machine had been in use for thirty years with no problems at all. He had to talk long and hard before we ended up watching a demonstration for the full-sized Bosch at the Bosch store and I decided to give the Bosch a try. I’ll admit that I had misgivings. I had no experience with this brand, had never even heard of it, and the price tag used up a good portion of our wedding gift money. But we did end up buying it and once I made my first batch of bread in the Bosch, I never looked back. Seriously, it was love at first loaf.
After twenty-three years of heavy use with absolutely no problems, I plugged in my Bosch earlier today and let out the smoke and sparks. I have to admit that I was more than a little bit dismayed. My trusty friend was dead! We had to reset the fuse down in the breaker box and everything. Kev was headed out on some errands, so he added a stop at the Bosch store to see about repairs to his list of stops. When he got there, he was told that it will be two weeks before they can even look at my machine, so wonderful man that he is, he bought me a new one. Nearly all the attachments are compatible with both the older model I purchased all those years ago and the new one, so it looks like I’m back up and running.
So I have a new friend, one that will hopefully work just as hard as the old one. And my compact Bosch (because yes, I have both sizes and the little one has been making some unhappy sounds) will be diagnosed in a couple of weeks. I have a feeling I’ve taxed the smaller motor by kneading too much bread dough, but I suspect the issues I’ve had making smaller batches of bread in the big Bosch can be fixed with some different attachments, thus leaving the little guy for lighter work such as whipped cream and cake batter. So hopefully once the tiny one is back up and running, it will be another quarter century before I run into problems again.
No comments:
Post a Comment