Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Thursday, July 7, 2022

Sew What?

Malia is a very opinionated person. Yes, I know we all have our moments, and yes, I also know that with Kevin and I as her parents she was bound to have a strong personality, and yes, I would much rather have her be able to stand up for what she believes in the wacky world in which we live, but sometimes, it makes me a little crazy. For instance, she is a crafty girl. She loves to create things. And I’ve long thought that she would really enjoy adding machine sewing to her list of skills as it would open up a whole new world of creating for her. But does she want to hear that from me? No way. If I suggest it, it is no good. It has to be her idea. Last summer she spent an entire day with my mom learning some basic sewing machine skills and creating a fun tote bag with a million tiny pockets for her LSP (the Littlest Pet Shop toys). She had a great time and was really proud of what she created. But once she got home, she didn’t want anything to do with any encouragement or suggestions that came from me. 

We have a lady who moved in up the street from us last year who runs an in-home business teaching people to sew. She offers a variety of small classes and workshops as well as private lessons. And in the summer, she holds a few sewing camps for kids. They learn some basic sewing machine skills and create a different project each day using the skills they learn. The mother of one of Malia’s friends in the ward asked me a few months back if Malia was interested in attending one of those camps with her daughter. I consulted Malia, and she agreed, but I honestly think it was because it would be time spent with Shar and not for any real excitement about the activity. Nevertheless, agree she did.

Her three days of sewing camp were this week and before they started on Tuesday, her reluctance was showing. She asked about the time when it would be held and when she learned that it would be 2 ½ hours for each of the three days, her response was a somewhat morose, “That’s a long time.” But again, the lure of Shar sent her off to her first day of camp.

Malia came home a changed child. She was bubbling with excitement and was incredibly proud of the projects she had created, especially the chicken. (She did some basic stitch practicing and made a gathered flower and a chicken.) In addition to Shar, one of her friends from school happened to be in the class and the time had flown by. She immediately asked if I would show her how to use my sewing machine and followed that up by asking how much a kids’ sewing machine would be. Her lackadaisical attitude was completely gone, and she was highly enthusiastic about her newfound confidence and skills. 

I was more than just pleased. I was thrilled! Having someone else teach her suddenly made everything exciting and new. And having friends who shared in her enjoyment of the creative process certainly helped. She trotted off to her next two days of camp with anticipation and joy and came home contented with her progress and anxious to do some more sewing. On the second day she created an otter pop holder and a scrunchie. The third and final day of the camp was spent sewing a drawstring backpack. She did a fantastic job, and her response was, “When I look at it, I can’t believe I made it!” It really does look great. I’m so proud of what she has learned in such a short time and I’m hoping her enjoyment of sewing continues. I plan to feed the fire and encourage her however I can.

As for my neighbor, I owe her a big thank you. It was the best $75 I’ve spent all summer. 

Oh, and now Malia wants to make chickens for everyone she knows. She loooooves the chicken. And it is cute. 😂






No comments: