When folks around here thing of Swedish food, I’m pretty sure the first thing that comes to mind is the Swedish meatballs served at our local rat maze with a cinnamon scented reward at the end, IKEA. I’ve sampled the IKEA meatballs and while many people rave about them, they are still cafeteria food and I think the quality reflects that. Since cafeteria food isn’t generally something that is safe for my kids, Matthew has never eaten at IKEA and Malia ate there only once when she was tiny and in her pre-food allergy days. But of course, when my kiddos decided they wanted to sample some Swedish fare, meatballs were the first thing that came to my mind.
This evening was our Swedish sampling test and let me tell you, homemade always beats cafeteria. Always. Seriously, these little gravy coated wonders were a delight. They were tender and flavorful and absolutely delicious. Our meatballs were accompanied by mashed potatoes, a Swedish cucumber salad, and a side of the traditional lingonberries. While the meatballs were a favorite all the way around, the cucumber salad got mixed reviews. Malia hated it. Matthew loved it. Kev thought it was ok but wouldn’t choose it if asked. And I thought it was a nice change of pace, a good dish for once in a while.
I have a feeling the meatballs will be requested again. The salad? Maybe not. We’ll see if Matthew liked it enough to remember it later.
Swedish Meatballs Rating: 4 forks
Cucumber Salad Rating: 2 ½ forks

No comments:
Post a Comment