Early in the summer, Nathan found an entire family’s worth of siblings, five brothers and two sisters, that all needed their work done. He printed the names and we set to work with the goal of finishing them in time for a family sealing session my dad had scheduled. The boys worked together to complete the baptisms (Daniel had a female friend do the baptisms for the two sisters), then Daniel did the initiatory and endowment for the brothers and I did the work for the sisters. He did the last endowment yesterday, so we were all ready for this evening’s sealing session.
I love doing sealings because they are the culmination of all the ordinances we do in the temple. It is the one that binds families together. Doing a session with Kevin, Daniel, my parents and my sisters and their spouses was fantastic. It was the first time Daniel has done a sealing session so that made it an even more amazing experience. I know this isn’t the first time I’ve said this, but I love being in the temple with my family. It just reminds me that family is really what it’s all about. And the officiator for our session was so personable and really helped invite the spirit to be with us.
For the names Nathan had discovered, Kevin and I were proxy for the parents and Daniel was proxy for all the sons. One of my sisters was proxy for the daughters. We did all seven names in a row, binding those children to their parents. It made me smile to think about all those siblings rejoicing as they were finally sealed together as a family. I may even have been grinning like an idiot. When we finished the last name, my thoughts suddenly turned, and I had the thought that we were missing someone. I felt a need to check and make sure. The feeling didn’t wane as the session continued and with all the great technology we have, I was able to check as soon as we got back to the car. What I discovered were three more siblings-one brother whose name had been reserved for nearly two years but the work not completed, a sister (the youngest sibling) whose death date means we aren’t able to do her work yet, and the oldest brother for whom no work has been done and whose name is unreserved. Daniel immediately reserved the oldest brother and his wife and printed the cards as soon as we got home. He plans to get the baptisms done tomorrow morning at his next planned temple trip. And the reservation on the other brother will expire in October if his work remains unfinished so I will keep my eye on that to make sure he can join his family as well. As for the youngest sister, we’ll have to let time pass until we can do her ordinances.
To me, having the spirit speak to me about those missing siblings is yet another confirmation that all this is true. These aren’t just random names on paper. They are real people and the work we do for them is vital. The sealer in our session assured us that the acceptance rate of the gospel is far greater on the other side that it is here. Without the veil clouding all we once knew of where we came from, I very much believe that to be true. And I believe this particular family, whose last name is the same as ours, is so happy and so anxious for the remaining siblings to be sealed to them as well.
My boys have been such an amazing example to me all summer. Their desire to be in the temple is inspiring. Their willingness to devote their time and sacrifice other activities be there is humbling. I feel blessed to be their mother.
(Nathan has kept nearly all the name cards he has done baptisms for this summer. He has seventy cards in hand and about thirty more that he doesn’t have the cards for. That is an amazing amount of work done in one summer.)

No comments:
Post a Comment