The new high school is not finished as of yet. That is not a surprise, of course. Construction always takes longer than the estimate. Since it is only mid-July that doesn’t create too many problems, but the madrigals from our brand-new high school, got volun-told that they would be performing the district admin’s conference three weeks from now. The choir director, who has no classroom, no piano, no music, etc. tried to explain the difficulties in getting a performance ready, but the folks in charge were undeterred. As such, the madrigals have been madly acquiring uniforms and having a few rehearsals on the fly.
Their first rehearsal several weeks ago was held at the high school our choir director just left, but they were in need of a space for another rehearsal today. There was a general plea for a home with a piano and space for thirty kids and since our home fits those requirements, we offered to open our door to a crew of teenagers. I even made treats for the kids because 1) I wanted to encourage the kids to stay and socialize and get to know each other and 2) I figure feeding teens will give me points in the “best choir mom” category. 😉
Nathan is incredibly excited about madrigals. And when I say excited, I mean over the top, can hardly stand it, wants to wear his madrigal suit right now, wants to get started right this minute kind of excited. And it doesn’t hurt that the choir folks from the old high school have been tossing around the fact that the new high school mads are already rehearsing and they had better get their act together so they can beat them.
I’m so, so very glad that Nathan’s experiences have already been positive and he’s longing for more. Last year nearly broke Nathan emotionally. It was rough. I’ve been on my knees praying for this year to be different. From what I’ve seen so far (by sneaking around the house during their rehearsal today and listening to Nathan rave about everything), my hopes are high.
And I really, really want to be a choir mom. Due to the dynamics of our family and the needs of one tiny food allergy baby who grew into a high energy, tiny food allergy toddler, Nathan is the one of my children that I have had the fewest opportunities to support as a classroom volunteer. I want to make up for that now. High school is different from elementary school and I know the opportunities will be completely different as well, but I’m looking forward to being able to support my second son in his endeavors.
No comments:
Post a Comment