After the stressful and disappointing experience he had during this past year’s high school production of “The Sound of Music,” Nathan was good and ready for a better one. His beloved middle school theater teacher was directing our community’s summer show, so he was quick to decide to audition. The show this year was “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat,” which is a super fun show (I know this from past experience) so that was a perk as well. Unfortunately, since this particular show is almost all music, the cast spend the majority of their time working with the music director and the choreographer. And they were somewhat unreasonable in terms of how late rehearsals ran, gave the cast tons of grief for missing rehearsals even though they had disclosed days they would miss prior to being cast, and were generally critical and irritable. I’m getting all this from Nathan, of course, since I wasn’t there, but they really rubbed him the wrong way. As a result, he didn’t enjoy the whole process as much as he had hoped. But to the credit of the cantankerous crew, the end result was really fantastic. Kev and I both agree that it is probably the best community theater production we’ve ever seen. So kudos for that.
Despite his unpleasant rehearsals, Nathan did enjoy the actual performing and he did a great job. I had a lot of people stop me to let me know how fantastic they thought his performance was. I thought he did great as well. I had no idea that he could dance as well as he did. He definitely has some moves. And honestly, his milelong bell bottoms and snakeskin shirt comprised my favorite of his costumes. He may have thought they were dorky, but it worked really well on him.
Nathan probably won’t participate in another show in our community (he did tech for last year’s show and had unpleasant experiences with that as well), but live and learn, right? I’m really, really, really hoping the new high school will bring him some better theatrical experiences.




No comments:
Post a Comment