I frequently shop at our local Walmart Supercenter. In the past two and a half years that I have lived out here, I have never once come out of the Walmart having been able to purchase every item on my list. In particular, a lot of the specialty food items we need to be able to cook for Matthew are unavailable at our Walmart. I have to get those things at Harmon's which has higher prices, but it's not like I have many options. So why do I keep shopping the Walmart, you may ask? Because it is close, prices are generally good, and they will price match any item from any store that has a printed ad. That and the fact that there aren't a whole lot of choices out here yet. So I go to Walmart weekly, knowing I'm probably going to get frustrated at least once while I'm there.
This morning was my weekly jaunt to the Walmart and when I left the store I was actually happy. Want to know why? For the fist time ever, my Walmart is carrying some of the specialty foods I regularly buy. I found soy nut butter, egg replacer, nut and dairy free granola, and even the Matthew friendly chocolate chips! I was stunned. And amazed. And I did a little happy dance in the store. I'm sure Matthew would have happy danced to, but he was at preschool. So although I still didn't find everything on my list, I think the chocolate chips made up for it. And they were cheaper than they are at Harmon's.
So, Walmart actually has a check in the positive column for now. Am I still hoping that someone will think it's a fabulous idea to build a Super Target in one of the big spaces around here left open for retail development? Absolutely. But at least for today, I came out of the Walmart with a smile on my face.
No comments:
Post a Comment