Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Building Blocks of Literacy

Matthew is in his second year of preschool which means that not only is he learning his letters, but he is beginning to learn the sounds the letters make.  So when he pulled out his magnet board and the alphabet magnets this morning,  I decided to take the opportunity to reinforce his literacy skills.  So I made a chunk (at) and we started placing different letters in front of the chunk to make words.  Since he is just learning sounds and doesn't know all that many yet, I would help him.  "What does 'c' say?  It says 'kuh' like cat."  And so on. 

After awhile we worked our way around to 'm'.  Matthew knows 'm' well.  He can identify it every time and he knows what sound it makes because his name starts with 'm'.  So when I asked him what 'm' says, he responded with the following:  "M says mmmmmmm, like 'Yum! Pie!'"

No comments: