Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Deep Fried Lifestyle

Last night Kev took me out to dinner to celebrate Mother’s Day.  I have been craving beef like crazy lately (I could probably eat an entire cow minus the icky parts if I had the chance) so we headed out to our almost local steakhouse (There are not a whole lot of things that are actually local for us yet, but a brand new McDonald’s just opened three minutes from our house so I expect further development is just around the corner.) for some serious meat eating.  When my meal arrived, I was completely surprised to discover that my baked potato was deep fried.  Now correct me if I’m mistaken, but I thought the fact that the potato has “baked” right in the title pretty much means it isn’t normally deep fried.  So you can see where my confusion comes in.

What kind of a crazy world do we live in where people think that everything must be fried?  Don’t get me wrong, I like a great batch of french fries just as much as the next person and some fantastic onions rings are high on my list of occasional indulgences, but there are things that I definitely don’t think should be dipped in hot oil.  Obviously there are those who disagree, which can be proven by the existence of such foods as deep fried twinkies, ice cream, candy bars . . . and baked potatoes.  Those of you who like these things, forgive me, but “EEUUWW!”

So I ate the baked portion and left the deep fried wrapper on my plate.  Because if I had been in the mood for deep fried, I would have ordered fries.  And then I happened to glance over and realized that the lemon half Kev had been given with his prawns was covered in a little elasticized mesh strainer (Remember those Saran quick covers?  Like that only tiny, yellow and mesh.). And I realized that not only do we live in a world where everything is destined to wind up in the deep fat fryer (the day my cheesecake comes batter dipped and fried is the day I start looking for a ship off this planet), but we are also too lazy to pick the lemon seeds off our seafood.

But the beef was fabulous.  And I have leftovers for today.  Happy me!

2 comments:

Englebright said...

Oh lady, you need to come to the NC fair with me and laugh and point at all the ridiculous fried food. I will give you $5 if you eat one of the deep fried krispy kreme bacon cheesebugers. Doesn't your heart hurt after reading that?

Rach said...

I actually like fried ice cream . . .