Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Wrath of Mother

It took five whole days of kindergarten to break Nathan's glasses. When he came home today with the mangled frames and only one lens, I was irritated. When he told me that they broke because one of the big kids grabbed him and made him fall before school this morning, the irritation became anger. Anger at the unnamed older child who bullied my kid. Nathan said one of the playground attendants (He called them "one of the school stack with an orange vest." I'm thinking he meant "staff.") saw the whole thing and came right over. So I'm hoping that some responsible adult at the school will ensure this doesn't happen again. Incidents like this can make a child hate school and I don't want my bright, inquisitive five year old to hate school.

So now we search for the lens because although there is a breakage warranty on the frames, a lost lens means buying a new one. Nathan thinks it is on the bus, but he is in no way a reliable eyewitness so the school secretary is checking with his teacher as well as the bus driver. At least we were smart enough to buy two pairs of glasses so Nathan will still have a pair to wear while we get the broken ones replaced.

And I'll sit here and attempt to think Christ-like thoughts. ("I don't want to beat up the bully. I don't want to beat up the bully. I don't want to beat up the bully . . .")

9 comments:

Rach said...

Grrrr. I want to beat up the bully, too, if it makes you feel any better.

Kara said...

Not to be a pessimist or anything, but Spencer has been through 8 pairs of glasses in the past 3 years. Only two of them were actually broken on the playground during kindergarten. But, on the bright side, hooray for the warranty.

Hannah S said...

Oh, I hate bullies. yes, that is smart to have bought 2 pairs. I am scared for my children to go to school.

Where did your boys go to preschool?

Brig said...

If your child breaks his or her glasses, the school should call you right away and let YOU decide whether or not it is serious enough for you to come in!

Sarahbina said...

You know, if that ever happens again, tell Nathan that a good way to get out of it is to say... "My Cousin Sarah is willing to beat you up" Even though I technically am not able to actually beat them up, and i'm not sure if you want him to say that. It really get's the bullies to go away.

Esther said...

After the day I've had, I'd LOVE to beat up a bully!!! Bring 'em on!! And with Adam and Seth as wing-men, we can totally take on a bully!! Bullies totally stink, and I don't mean in the smelly sense of the word! ;-)

Holt's in da House said...

I'm thinking Nathan has it in him to head-butt the bullie at any time and really do some damage, but don't tell him I said that. :)

Holt's in da House said...

Hey look - I'm starting to spell like Kev does... LOL

Melissa E Photography said...

I cannot BELIEVE IT! What on earth would be threatening about NATHAN? What a little punk. If you need a hit woman, give me a call.