Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Friday, August 22, 2008

OCD Just Like Me

This morning Matthew had the cereal smorgasbord for breakfast. But when I dumped the second type of cereal on top of the first, he freaked out and started separating the two. After that, I was smart enough to ask him where he wanted it. End result? Five very neat little piles of cereal, nothing touching. But considering that as a child my spaghetti couldn't touch the sauce (I would dip each noodle in separately) and I still have issues when the wrong types of food touch on my plate, I suppose it was inevitable.

In addition to the latest manifestation of his inheritance, it drives him crazy when things that should be closed are left open. He can't stand to have his teeth brushed if the medicine cabinet is open. If I leave the front door open, he closes is immediately. When I leave the washing machine open so it won't smell musty inside, his OCD radar leads him right to it. And loading the dishwasher is a trial because he closes it every time I turn to pick up a new dish from the sink. But I can't really get upset with him because after all, he did get this particular quirk from me.

Poor kid never even had a chance of being normal.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha wow that's funny! Hopefully it will remain as only quirky, though.

Brig said...

Spence was the same way. Whenever he'd get M&Ms, he'd separate them into piles and eat them by colors. Or if we'd pour Chex onto his tray, he would separate the broken Chex into a separate pile and only eat the whole ones.

Megan said...

i am totally buying you one of those plates with different sections for your food! that pictures is stinkin' cute.

Parrylarious said...

My husband joke that we should just start our kids out on OCD medicine in their formula so that they can start their lives out medicated for the terrible disease that plagues both of their parents....poor little things, they don't stand a chance.

Heatherbelle said...

He is such a cute little guy! I think he is one of the cutest little monkey I've ever seen! I even think he is cuter than my Miles and I am horribly prejudiced when it comes to my child!
Oh and congrats about the Wicked tickets! You will LOVE IT! So fabulous!