In the spring, Nathan and I planted seeds. We planted carrots and an assortment of flowers in various places around the house. And then like all good gardeners do, we waited. And we waited. And then we waited some more. After awhile, it became apparent to me that nothing was going to grow. And I felt terrible every time Nathan asked when the lupines would grow or where the carrots were. So we had the talk about how sometimes things just don't grow. And I'll admit that I didn't overemphasize the fact that I'm a pro at killing plants. (The only houseplant I've ever managed to keep alive was named Rambo for good reason.) I promised him we could try again next year and then he quit asking which made me feel even worse.
But we have had a wonderful surprise. We found one of our dwarf sunflowers growing in the backyard! The stalk that has been growing all summer, but it never occurred to me that it could be a sunflower because we planted the sunflowers in the front yard. But when it bloomed, it became obvious that it was indeed one of our poor little seeds from the spring. Daniel and I think that perhaps birds ate most of the sunflower seeds, but dropped several in the backyard. Nathan doesn't care how it happened, but is absolutely thrilled that one if his plants grew. His response was, "Woohoo!!! Sunflowers are growing! Sunflowers are growing!"
3 comments:
So magical for a child to see things growing from a seed. I'm glad something worked!
I'm glad we didn't pull it up! Dave thought it might be something cool, so we left it. A flower among the weeds.
Great! And now he won't be traumatized by the whole faith-seen object lesson.
Post a Comment