Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Attack of the Slime Monsters

In an attempt to keep Daniel and Nathan from killing each other, periodically throughout the summer we do activities designed to distract them from boredom and keep them occupied for awhile. Today we made slime. This is super cool goo that feels like a cross between playdough and jello. Totally fun. Nathan told me that he is a slime artist, explaining to me that he makes art out of slime. Daniel wasn't going to touch it at first, but once he saw how fun it was he changed his mind.

Daniel taking his stirring very seriously.


Nathan getting all the Borax dissolved.


Whoaa!


We went to the library this morning and got our July prize for the summer reading program. Daniel pulled out a plastic fly ring. Nathan pulled out a ladybug eraser and was not happy about it. I think he was taking his frustrations out on the slime. He was much happier afterward. I think slime therapy works for him.


Slime Monsters!


Homemade Slime

CRAFT MATERIALS:
Two mixing bowls
Measuring cups and spoons
Glue
Borax
Green food coloring
Water

Time needed: Under 1 Hour

1. Mix together 3/4 cup warm water, 1 cup glue and several drops of green food coloring in the first bowl.

2. In the second bowl, mix together 4 teaspoons borax and 1 1/3 cups warm water.

3. Pour the contents of the first bowl into the second, but don’t stir. Let it sit for 1 minute, then lift the now-congealed slime out of the bowl.

4. Divide slime so that each child has a piece to play with. The glue in slime can make it stick to certain fabrics. To minimize accidents, give each little monster a zip-top bag to store it in.

Tips:
SAFETY NOTE: Since borax is toxic in large doses, be sure to keep the slime away from kids younger than age three.

Note: If any of you want to make this come get some Borax from me! I comes in a five pound box and since a recipe of slime only uses 4 tsp., I have tons!


6 comments:

Melissa E Photography said...

I think I'm going to need to send Park your way for some creative fun summer activities. He would love some slime! What little boy wouldn't?

Patti said...

Looks like a great activity! I have extra kids today, maybe this is the way to keep everyone entertained for a little while.

Jenni said...

oh... I may have to come get some borax from you. :) My kids would love that! Plus, I think we could have a fabulous conversation about allergies, we just found out my youngest is allergic to tree nuts, and apparently something in Papa John's pizza sauce. :)

Hope you guys are well!

Esther said...

I did this experiment with my class last year to show a chemical change. They also loved it. Apparently slime is very "cross-age" appropriate!

Brisa said...

how fun, i'll have to make this for my kids. sorry i didn't make it to rachel's baby shower, i bet you guys had so much fun. we miss the ward so much and the kids, hope everything is going well!

Tiff Keetch said...

I think you're right.. I'm going to love having a little boy! Nathan's faces were cracking me up. :)