Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Friday, July 2, 2021

A Joyful Day

When I was a young adult, the standard in the church was that people went to the temple for their endowment when they were preparing to leave on a mission or when they were getting married. In fact, many women went to the temple for the first time on the same day that they got married. I was an exception to that tradition. I received my endowment when I was twenty-two. I was not getting married nor was I going on a mission, but I knew that it was the right time for me to go and was blessed to have a bishop that agreed. When I met with my stake president (who happened to be Truman G. Madsen) for my temple recommend interview, he asked if I was getting married or serving a mission and when I responded in the negative, he exclaimed, “What is ‘Bishop’s Last Name Here’ doing to me?” I was not cowed however, and when I explained the spiritual promptings and course of events that had led me to his office, he showed trust in me and my bishop and proceeded to hold the interview and sign my recommend.

Unlike many friends and schoolmates who had been shocked or felt completely overwhelmed upon their taking part in the temple ordinances, I was completely at peace. Everything felt familiar and right and I came away feeling spiritually uplifted and strengthened. In fact, when I returned to my apartment the day after my temple trip, I remember ward members in my BYU student ward commenting that I looked happy and light. Well, that’s exactly how I felt.

Throughout the past year as Nathan has planned and prepared for his life after graduation, he didn’t feel a need to wait until right before his mission to go to the temple. In fact, he had a great desire to go to the temple as soon as possible after his eighteenth birthday. He felt like the temple was an important step of his spiritual progression and not just a footnote to serving a mission. Kevin and I were in complete agreement on that matter. We knew that the temple and the covenants he would make would bring him greater peace as well as give him the spiritual strength and protection he needed to withstand the attacks of the adversary that are not only becoming increasingly bold in general but were escalating in his own life as he was preparing for college and mission.

As soon as he graduated, he met with the bishop to interview for his temple recommend. He was told that he would be contacted by the stake to schedule his interview with the stake president, so he waited. And waited. And then waited some more. He waited patiently at first, then with increasing stress and impatience as the wait stretched to weeks and weeks. He had scheduled his date with the temple and was starting to be concerned that he would have to cancel his appointment because he didn’t have a signed recommend. He started texting and calling the stake executive secretary regularly and when that proved fruitless, Kevin finally texted one of the counselors in the stake presidency to see if he could get a response. A few days later, the stake president finally contacted Nathan and within a few days, his interview was held. There was a general sign of relief once the recommend was in his hand.

Today was the appointed day and we have had some miracles along the way. We were able to bring several family names to the temple and there will be a story to tell after one more trip to the temple next month. With COVID accommodations still in force, Nathan was able to invite only sixteen people to be in the session with him. That number worked out exactly right for Kevin and me, Daniel, grandparents, aunts, uncles, his friend Tate and one of his adopted mothers who was a bright spot at school during this past year. Those on Kev’s side of the family were able to go to the temple in November when his niece went for the first time and a few were able to attend the sealing when another of his nieces was married in March, but my family has not been able to enter the temple since COVID forced closures last March. As such, it was a tender mercy for my family to be back in the temple. I always love attending the temple with family because that’s what it’s all about and being there with two of my own children brought me joy. I can hardly wait until Malia is old enough to come with us. She has another year and a half until she will be able to do baptisms for the dead and my little crew is all looking forward to being able to gather together in the temple. It will actually end up being closer to three years since Nathan will be on his mission when she is finally old enough, but we are all anxious to be there together.

Since the session this morning, Nathan has been unbelievably happy. His experience was like mine in that he was not surprised nor overwhelmed. Everything felt familiar and right. He was definitely spiritually ready to take this step. He has been asking questions like crazy and talking nonstop about how amazing the temple is. He has shared some things that he learned and gushed about how at peace he is. He has an enthusiasm and joy for the temple that I love to see. He can hardly wait to go again.

It was nearly a perfect day in the temple. Two kids to go and then it will be a perfect day in the temple.
 


No comments: