Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Wednesday, July 28, 2021

PAW: Polish Racuchy Z Jablkami

As part of our pancake adventures, I’ve consulted the internet to learn how to pronounce the names of the various pancakes we’ve tried. I’m not an international linguist, but with google to help me, I can usually get at least a passable imitation. Today was the exception. No matter how many times I listened to the pronunciation, I simply could not wrap my brain, or my tongue, around the Polish “racuchy z jablkami.” I never intend to slaughter someone’s mother tongue, so I gave up my attempts and played the google translation pronunciation for my family.

The translation of “racuchy z jablkami” is “pancakes with apple.” They are a yeasted batter filled to bursting with lovely little chunks of apple. They are traditionally served with cream and dusted with powdered sugar. They taste a bit like a Utah scone and a bit like an apple fritter without all the sugar. All my crew, except for Matthew, enjoyed them immensely. In Matthew’s defense, he got his braces on yesterday and can’t really chew anything right now. We’ve made homemade dairy free ice cream twice this week and he ate some of the super tasty orange creamsicle ice cream for dinner. We did tuck some racuchy in the freezer so he can taste them when the pain has abated, and I suspect he will give them a positive rating. So while I can’t pronounce it, I can definitely cook it and I’m more than happy to eat it.

Racuchy Z Jablkami Rating: five thumbs up with one abstaining until a later date

No comments: