Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Friday, December 18, 2020

A Mountain of Gingerbread

When we were inundated with gingerdead men in October, I decided we should revisit the delicious cookies with a more traditional gingerbread theme in honor of Christmas. In the past we have made gingerbread houses with graham crackers, but I’ve never actually baked gingerbread to create dwellings. With multiple houses needing to be created, I got online and found a set of cookie cutters that would create a charming assortment of tiny houses. There was a recipe included with the cookie cutters, but I have a gingerbread cookie recipe I really like so I opted to use that one instead. I mean, why waste so much time and effort on a recipe that may or may not be delicious? I’d rather stick with known results. The info I did glean from the untried recipe was that five cups of flour would make enough cookie dough for two houses. Armed with that information, I tripled my recipe so we would have enough dough for five houses and a cookie Christmas tree.

From how today’s baking went, I’m not sure what the cookie cutter folks are smoking or if they are just making cookies an inch thick, but five cups of flour makes enough cookie dough for at least four houses. My fifteen cups of flour made five houses, a nice tall cookie tree and about five billion gingerbread men and women. Seriously, there is a mountain of cookies sitting on my counter. It’s a good thing we like gingerbread!
 


No comments: