Today is Daniel’s birthday. He was planning to come home this weekend so we could celebrate, but since he is currently waiting out his roommate’s quarantine, we were able to celebrate on his actual day. Birthday balloons have kind of become a tradition around here and I figured a big birthday deserved some big balloons, so Daniel ended up with a mighty large floating display advertising the fact that he is no longer a teenager. How weird is that? My oldest child is no longer a teen. Being at home also meant he could have his very favorite cake on his very birthday. Swedish swirl has been his favorite for years.
I’m very grateful that Daniel is a part of our family. He is pretty laid back which is a wonderful counterpart to some of the more dramatic personalities that reside in our home. He is capable of diffusing an emotionally charged situation between his siblings with his calm demeanor. In the past year, he has grown up a lot and it has been so reassuring to see that he is well on his way to becoming a capable young man who is preparing to be ready to step fully into the adult world. His testimony has grown tremendously this past year, another thing I’m grateful for, as it has helped him weather the ups and downs that this year has held for him. And his missionary service, short though it was, has made him more comfortable sharing his testimony, his gospel insights, and his spiritual feelings. It’s kind of weird to be at the stage where my kids are becoming adults because I don’t necessarily feel any older than I did a couple of decades ago, but it is reassuring to watch them grow and feel like maybe Kev and I did an ok job raising them. Hopefully there are good things in store for Daniel in the coming year.



No comments:
Post a Comment