Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Monday, December 21, 2020

Here We Come A-wassailing

Just before Thanksgiving, we all sat down together and talked about what we wanted our holidays to look like this year. Things were obviously going to be different, but that gave us the opportunity to talk about what traditions and activities were important to us and which ones could be left by the wayside. We came up with a list of things we wanted to make time for and going Christmas caroling was one of them. I haven’t been Christmas caroling since I was in college and I don’t think any of my kids have been either. It seems to be one of those traditions that has quietly become a thing of the past. But not for us. We decided to shake things up a bit and celebrate Christmas old school style.

This evening we bundled up, came up with a short set list, decided which houses to visit, and started singing. We sang to about sixteen different people/families, including one stranger we happened to cross paths with while making our way from one house to another. The reception was warm, and I think we added a bit of light to our neighborhood.

After caroling, we talked about our experience over cookies and wassail. The Spirit was definitely with us as we sang carols celebrating our Savior’s birth. We added some joy to some homes. We lifted some Spirits that were in need. We did a small service for just a few of our wonderful neighbors. And we found joy in doing so. We all loved the experience we had this evening and I suspect it is one that will be added to the list of traditions we want to continue.

No comments: