Today is Easter. It’s quite obvious that I like all the fun holiday stuff (bunny buns, bunny cookies, bunny pancakes…we had kind of a theme going on this year), but we do all of those activities before the actual holiday so that on Sunday we can focus on what it is really all about. Having the “Come Follow Me” lesson this week focus on the Savior’s final week including the crucifixion and his glorious resurrection was a fantastic way for me to keep the real reasons in mind. So while I was baking bunny buns on Monday, I was thinking about Christ’s triumphal entry into Jerusalem. Wednesday’s bunny pancakes were accompanied by reminders of his many teachings. Friday’s egg coloring and cookie baking were tempered with gravity over the immense suffering he went through and the great love he showed for each one of us. And today, I’m buoyed up by the reality of his resurrection and thoughts of what that means for me and my family.
I also love Christmas and all the festivities centered around that holiday, but to quote Gordon B. Hinckley, “There would be no Christmas if there were no Easter.” So yes, I enjoy all the themed stuff. But while I’m doing it, I’m keeping in mind the real reasons behind the celebrations.


No comments:
Post a Comment