Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Friday, April 19, 2019

Hoppin’ Down the Bunny Trail

Today’s Easter activities were twofold: coloring the eggs and creating some super cute bunny hug cookies. We started off the day with the cookies. They was a Pinterest find, of course, but they were so cute that I just couldn’t resist. And I didn’t even need a special bunny cookie cutter. We used a gingerbread man shape turned upside down. The legs were reshaped just a bit to become ears, a simple face was created with a skewer, and the arms were tucked in around some jellybeans to look like the bunny was hugging eggs. The original idea used Cadbury chocolate eggs but swapping those for jellybeans made the treat Matthew friendly. For some reason, I didn’t get any pictures of the finished product, just the kiddos creating them (and Matthew snitching cookie dough). But they turned out delicious!


I haven’t purchased those little egg dye kits for years because we discovered years back that making our own dyes with vinegar and food coloring creates much more vibrant colors. Malia was really the only one interested in coloring eggs this year, so she got to do everything. She helped mix the dyes (A medicine dropper is a super handy kitchen tool. I use them all the time and keep a few on hand even though I no longer have any kids that need them for medicine.) and then colored all the eggs. Daniel is on band tour right now so without him to help consume the eggs, we didn’t boil as many as usual, but with only one kid creating the color magic, it worked out just fine. Malia used a variety of methods-the straight up dunk, the crayon colored resist paint job, the two-tone egg, and even some rubber band inspired designs. She had a lovely time with her food art.




In a few more years, I might not have anyone interested in coloring eggs. As such, I suppose I’d better stack in the memories as quickly as I can!

No comments: