It's science fair season at our house. Daniel has spent the past two weeks immersed in his project. He hasn't taken much time for anything else. But today was the big day. Daniel received a third place award again. (Our school has multiple awards for each place.) Being the level headed kid that he is, getting third place does not bother him. In fact, he is pretty proud of himself. As for me, I'm totally proud of him. One of the requirements for our science fair is that the project should solve a real life problem. As I wandered around looking at the other projects, I could see that each project fit that criteria. But while the other kids were solving problems like which bread molds faster and how to cool down a can of soda the quickest, Daniel was dealing with how the design of a bridge effects its safety in an earthquake. The idea of "Go Big or Go Home" is a pretty good description of how he thinks. He was dealing with radio waves in first grade, after all. That should have clued me in to how big he thinks. I've told him that kind of thinking is what changes the world. If he keeps up the big thinking and the fabulous work ethic, he will be able to do anything he wants. And I'll be standing in the background cheering him on.

No comments:
Post a Comment