Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Sunday, February 19, 2012

All Aboard the Dinosaur Train!

Just in case there is any doubt, Matthew’s favorite t.v. show right now is Dinosaur Train.  So when it came to picking a party theme, it was pretty much a no brainer.  When his friends arrived on Friday afternoon, each one received a ticket and a dinosaur nose since only dinosaurs can ride the dinosaur train and everyone needs a ticket.


To eliminate the possibility of a dinosaur sized meltdown when someone lost their ticket, I put them on a piece of yarn so they could be worn around dino-necks.  Then we punched their tickets with a hole punch as we visited each “station.”  Matthew was the Conductor, hollering out, “Time tunnel!” and “Tickets please!” at the appropriate moments.  We played dinosaur bowling, t-rex tracks (like musical chairs but with dinosaur footprints), Dinosaur Train bingo, and The Conductor Says.  (Thanks to www.ThePartyAnimal-Blog.org for the game ideas.)

 (Notice that Matthew is giving me the evil eye because I'm taking pictures of him.)


We finished the party with cupcakes and popsicles served on dinosaur plates.  I had no desire to try to make Dinosaur Train cupcakes, so I made simple cupcake toppers instead.  Easiest theme cupcakes I’ve ever made.


Not only did Matthew and his friends have a great time, but even Daniel and Nathan commented that the party was a lot more fun than they expected.  The bigger boys were great helpers, by the way.  Couldn’t have done it without them.  And Malia was a gem for sleeping through the whole thing.

Today we assembled Matthew’s cake for his celebration with my family.  I have cupcake pans that make a big long train of cupcakes, so we used that and decorated it with colored glaze, candy, and Dinosaur Train passengers.  It was a fun way to do a cake and very easy to serve.


I can't believe that Matthew is five already.  Where does the time go?

2 comments:

Tiff Keetch said...

His party looks like so much fun!! Harvey is into dinosaurs as well - I'll have to keep this for future reference, unless his interests change by November...

sweetlissybug said...

What a fun party! I'm glad Matthew had a great birthday! :)