Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Happy, Happy Birthday, Daniel Dear!

How in the world did Daniel get to be 11 already?  I certainly don’t feel old enough to have an 11 year old.  Of course, the gray hairs that I’ve begun to spot would seem to bely that fact.  And since I have high school friends who have children in college, I guess I really must be old enough.  But the time is passing far too quickly…

Daniel has passed the years of Musical Chairs and Pin the Tail on the Donkey and a perfect party for him consists of pizza, a movie, and a bunch of friends.  And while I truly appreciate the ease of planning and executing such a party, I’m most grateful that he has a circle of wonderful friends that he loves to spend time with.  I had a tight little group of friends like that when I was growing up and there are not many things that I’ve wanted more for my children than some “through thick and thin” kind of friends.

I also love that Daniel has inherited his parents’ wacky sense of humor.  The movie he chose to watch was “Galaxy Quest” and when I was at a loss for how to make a Galaxy Quest cake, Kev suggested we use rock candy to make rock monsters.  I made and frosted the cupcakes and Daniel created the monsters.


Daniel’s friends and family know him well and he received an abundance of Star Wars Lego, some K’nex, a remote control car and a build-it-yourself solar-powered robot inchworm which he stayed up until 11:00 p.m. to build the night he received it.

When we made the cake for Daniel’s celebration with family, Daniel very generously left half the cake monster-free so that Matthew would be able to eat some (the candy had a cross-contamination warning for peanuts).  For those who don’t know, Garignack is the name of the rock monster in Galaxy Quest.  I have no idea how to spell it.  I was just making it up as I went along.


So happy birthday, kid.  I have a feeling that if I blink, you just might grow up without my permission.

No comments: