...sick. The Monday before Christmas, Matthew was sick. He recovered and then on Christmas Eve Daniel and Nathan got sick. On Christmas Day everyone was feeling relatively well. The day after Christmas, I got sick. The day after that, Nathan got sick again. It was totally not awesome.
In spite of the fact that so many of us felt gross, we still had a nice holiday. Having two sick kids meant a quiet Christmas Eve at home instead of having a big Christmas Eve gathering with our extended family. The boys were all in bed at their normal bedtime and even Kev and I were asleep by about midnight. Christmas morning brought the normal chaos that usually ensues on Christmas. The boys were all pleased by what Santa brought and were terribly excited to give the gifts that they had chosen for everyone. Matthew kept digging around under the tree for things. At first I thought he was looking for presents for him, but in reality he was trying to find the presents that he had picked out for everyone else. It was one of those moments when I was really proud of my kids.
Santa brought Matthew a new bike. Kev helped him put it together the day after Christmas and Matthew has been riding it around in the basement ever since. He also got a Mack (think Pixar's Cars) truck that can carry Hot Wheels sized cars. He has been wanting one ever since he played with a similar one at a friend's house at the beginning of the year. He saw one in the newspaper a couple of weeks ago and got all excited about it. When he opened it up on Christmas morning he exclaimed, "This is exactly what I wanted!" Points to Santa for knowing just the right thing for him!
Daniel got a lightsaber (the purple one he has been wanting) and one of the Lego sets he has been looking at online. He also got a Star Trek calendar. I think it is funny that the calendar is one of the first things he shows everyone. He has been working his way through the original Star Trek series on Netflix and has become a bit of a Trekkie lately.
Nathan got a bunch of books (I love that he is so excited by this!) and a big Lego set. This is his first big Lego set. He has had small ones, but never one of the great big ones. He was very excited and spent all his free time on Christmas day building it. As he completed each section, he would come upstairs and show us. He had a great time! He also got a Nerf Dart Tag set. (Daniel and Matthew also got a Dart Tag set to share so that everyone can play.)
Malia slept through the first flurry of activities, but woke up later to discover a baby doll and some new toys that she is developing the skill to grab. Matthew was especially excited to give her the stuffed monkey he got for her.
Kev got some tools and tweezers to use when he does modeling and he got me a new ipod touch. (Very excited about that! When I bought my first one two years ago, I thought 8 gig was more than I would ever need. Of course, I was wrong and have had to rotate a lot of the content to keep what I wanted on it.) We also got a new camera. This was not a planned present, but our camera broke. Six days before Christmas. While we definitely feel like we got our money’s worth out of it (8 years), the timing was stinky. And while we knew exactly which camera we wanted to buy, it is a popular model and it was actually pretty hard to find six days before Christmas. But find it we did and then we needed to get it up and running in time for all the Christmas festivities. So while it wasn't actually under the tree, it took pictures of the tree...
Kev's parents joined us for Christmas dinner and brought a few more things for the kids and a wonderful family home evening chart for me. I had plans to make a new one this year. Not only did our old one not include Malia, but it is a cheap one made of plastic foam and over the years more than one of my children has decided to write on it or rip pieces off of it. The one my mother-in-law made for me was exactly the concept I was imagining but far cuter than what I had in mind! I love it! But my favorite present by far was...









No comments:
Post a Comment