We’ve reached a mini milestone with Matthew. (I love alliteration!) Last week when I told him he couldn’t eat something, he asked, “Why?” (His common response to pretty much everything right now.) I told him that it would make his mouth itchy and, wonder of all wonders, he actually understood and quit asking. I’m not delusional enough to think that this means smooth sailing from here on out, but I am hoping it results in fewer lactastrophes.
And speaking of avoiding anaphylactic shock, I have discovered that someone out there does in fact manufacture a soy based frozen dessert with nary a hint of dairy. (Rhyming’s fun to!) So when the big boys got a little scoop of ice cream with their apple crisp this evening, Matthew got a little scoop with his to. He was pleased as punch to be able to have some “I meem” of his very own.
Now I just have to work up enough courage to try the sunbutter (sunflower seed butter) or the soy butter to make faux peanut butter cookies. I have a perfectly wonderful recipe that has completely gone to waste over the past year. And if I’m really feeling courageous, I might just try the soy cream cheese substitute, although there are not many things in this world that sound more appalling.
And by the way, to my family who goes out of their way to accommodate Matthew's dietary needs, you guys ROCK!! It really helps. Thank you.
4 comments:
Shauna, I enjoyed looking at you blog. Your boys are wonderful! I created a blog, but I don't post to it very often. I mostly follow blogs of family members. It looks like your life is pretty wrappped up in the boys! Squirrel AKA Susan Ashton, your 4th grade teacher!
I'm sorry, food allergies are no fun:( We've had similar things with Hadley. But you are a trooper! I agree with you about the soy cream cheese stuff, nasty!
Ok, I am slow. Milk allergy, not lactose intolerance right? Josh has been dairy free for 6 years & therefore we all are for meals. Let me know if you want to exchange meal ideas. Josh is lucky...Breyers now makes lactose free ice cream but he liked the soy stuff for years. Good luck.
that is great that matthew is getting to the point where he can sort of understand why he can't have some things. though it sitll stinks :( what a cute little guy! srly he can always make me smile!
oh i was going to ask you... i am trying to track down a copy of our book club book, a bride most begrudging. the library doesn't have it! do you have a copy i could borrow when you are done reading it?!
Post a Comment