Today I taught my seven year old how ice cream can mend a broken heart.
Three weeks ago Daniel came home from school with the note about the science fair. He told me he had to do the science fair. Not want to. Had to. Kev and I initially tried to discourage him because he had no idea what he was getting in to. And because he's only seven. But he was determined. He worked really hard, with minimal help from us, and learned quite a bit about his topic.
Today was the actual day, so I sent him off to school with all his stuff, hoping he wouldn't be too crushed if he didn't win. Which he didn't. And he was crushed. Nothing I or Grandpa Estes could say seemed to help. Now, I'm not one of those moms who wants to shelter her child from all heartache and disappointment. I would hate to rob him of all that can and must be learned from these things. However, he is barely seven and it was still hard to see him try to deal with the disappointment. So as he sat in the back of the car, tears in his eyes, I suggested Coldstone. When Nathan asked why (Daniel was still too sad to care), I told him that sometimes ice cream just helps us feel better when we are really sad. I know that every emotional eating expert in the world would scorn that statement, but it is still a fact of life.
About halfway through his scoop of chocolate with Reese's Pieces, Daniel's smile came back. By the time we got home he had decided that he was going to do the science fair every year and that next year he will start his project in the summer. After all, he does want to be an astronaut or a scientist when he grows up so he has to do the science fair.
3 comments:
I love ice cream therapy!! And, woo hoo!! We've got a science geek on our hands!!
I don't care what eating experts say, ice cream solves alot of problems!
Yep, ice cream solves a lot of problems, just like Patti said. Just think of all those young girls who come home from a really bad date and pull out the ice cream.
Post a Comment