Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Sunday, April 20, 2025

The Winds of Change

Today is Easter Sunday. And while it was the same in some ways, in others it was different for us. We still had egg salad for lunch except for Matthew who had his traditional tuna (because he eats it in similar ways to how the rest of us eat egg salad, he feels like it is as close to eating the same thing we are as he can get). Dinner was ham, cheesy potatoes, rolls, etc. There were still chocolate bunnies and jellybeans on hand, as well as the traditional hot cross buns for dessert. We still had a reminder of the Savior in the kids’ baskets, this year several things that can help them celebrate Easter in future. Kevin’s parents haven’t been able to make it into our house to enjoy dinner with us for a few years, so we packed their dinner up and delivered it to their door yesterday. So, these things were pretty normal. 

There were several differences this year as well. Due to the difficult month they have had in terms of health, we also delivered an Easter feast to my parents. And while Daniel and Nathan came down from Logan as they usually do, Daniel was joined by Tawni this year. This is a new development for us and while it is a welcome one, we definitely have some changes on our horizon. Matthew is leaving for his mission in three months, and he is really starting to see things through that lens. He knows he is going to miss things, and he knows things will be different when he comes home. And he’s right. That is the nature of life. Things at home won’t stand still while he is gone. In fact, there are some very big changes coming soon for Daniel. As evidenced by his girlfriend, whom we all adore, joining us for a major holiday. That news is still a bit hush hush, but it is going to signal a new phase for my little crew.

As I think about these imminent changes, I’m reminded that life is always changing. And that my role as a mother is changing as well. In some ways it is a bit sad because I know that things will never be the same again. But on the other hand, there is so much joy to come. And some things that I’m ridiculously excited about. So overall, I’m ok with my changing role. Which is good, because even if I weren’t, the changes would still come. And it means that I have some new things to learn and new people to love and new experiences to enjoy. And realistically, new tears to be shed. Because I know that’s in there as well, giant crybaby that I am. 😂

I know that all these changes that are coming for my family are only the next step along the path that leads us to our family goal of eternal life. Because that is one thing that won’t change. Our hoped-for destination is still the same! And that is why we celebrate Easter. Because we know that we couldn’t accomplish our goal without the loving atonement of our Savior and His resurrection that we celebrate today. So Happy Easter! He is risen!

No comments: