Since discovering that Tsunami can feed him safely, Matthew has discovered that he really likes sushi. As such, it seemed like a great idea for him to learn to make it. I’ve made sushi in the past with acceptable results despite the fact that for some reason I just can’t get my rolls actually round, but the part that I haven’t learned about is the fish. With these two things in mind, I asked Matthew if he wanted to take a sushi making class with me at our local Harmon’s Cooking School and he was totally on board.
This evening was our class, and it was so fun! While I didn’t learn as much as I’d have liked about selecting and preparing the fish, I did get a couple of tidbits that at least point me in the right direction. And I picked up a couple of technique tidbits that mean my rolls actually came out round! I got some info on sauces and some ideas of ways to make some Matthew friendly substitutes for popular flavor combos.
Matthew was a sushi first timer, and he did a fantastic job! While he felt like he was working really slowly as he was the last one to finish preparing his rolls, his were also the prettiest. All the other students commented on how great they looked and even the chef said that he was going to need to up his game. 😂 Matthew couldn’t eat the rolls he made due to the presence of cross contact in the shared spaces, but now that we’ve got the knowledge and some skills, we are going to make sushi at home on a night when he will actually be here for dinner. Which probably means it will be sometime in June after he graduates. 😉 Seriously, the kid is so busy.
Although I didn’t learn as much as others did simply due to my past experience, it was still a really fun evening. Being able to do all the fun cooking and creating parts with all the prep and cleanup on someone else’s to do list is actually really fantastic! I would definitely do another class. And I think it would be something Nathan would enjoy doing with me since he enjoys cooking so much. So maybe I’ll look for a class that piques our interest and fits his schedule. Maybe cream puffs or eclairs. Or macarons. Both of those are things I haven’t delved into due to the fact that you really can’t make them without eggs. But Matthew will be gone for a while starting in July, so perhaps I could go all Great British Baking Show and learn something completely new…







No comments:
Post a Comment