When my fam told me they wanted to sample food from Poland, stuffed cabbage rolls were the first thing that came to mind. However, my family is not crazy about cabbage. In fact, most of them avoid it in most forms. They’ll eat it if it is hidden in something like the filling of potstickers and some of them will happy consume it as part of a hearty minestrone soup, but overall, they either avoid it like the plague (Malia), pick around it when it’s noticeable (Matthew), or eat it as a part of a meal but not select it if given a choice (Kevin-unless it’s something like okonomiyaki, a Japanese pancake that includes a hearty helping of cabbage). I like cabbage, but I figured that there was not going to be much hope of my family liking a traditional Polish food if it had cabbage right in the name.
I went trolling on Pinterest to see what else I could find and discovered several recipes for Polish beans and sausage. It was described as Polish comfort food, something that someone’s Polish mama or grandmama would make as a hearty meal to fill the bellies of their loved ones. The ingredients were simple, the flavors basic, and it looked like something even my pickiest eater might enjoy. So I decided to give it a try.
The results of this sampling were positive. As I expected, the flavors were basic but as Matthew says, sometimes basic is really good. I agree with him as does Malia, who had two servings. Kev enjoyed it as well and as for its heartiness factor, no one went away hungry. It was very filling. It may not have the visual appeal of some of our other experiments, but it certainly tasted good!
Sausage and Beans Rating: 4 forks

No comments:
Post a Comment