Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Sunday, April 3, 2022

Whoops!

Do you ever feel like you are living in a sitcom? In general, I don’t. My life is pretty mellow, reasonably predictable, and now that my kids are a bit older, not nearly so filled with day-to-day chaotic occurrences. My marriage is stable, and my hubby is not a buffoon. I don’t have a stereotypical terrible mother-in-law and I actually like my siblings and get along with them. My kids are all passing their classes in school, and no one has secretly thrown a big beer bust in the absence of parents. So no, for the most part I don’t feel like my life is a sitcom.

But every once in a while, I get those comedy t.v. vibes. This evening was one of those times. It is general conference weekend which means we have spent the past two days being spiritually enlightened. It also means we have spent an awful lot of time sitting in front of the t.v. As such, after the last session this afternoon we all headed out the door for a walk around the neighborhood to get our blood flowing a bit and to enjoy the beautiful weather. Since all of us were leaving the house, I asked Kev if he had his keys and when he responded in the affirmative, I told Malia to lock the door. She did so and we proceeded to meander around the block, stopping to talk with a few neighbors on our way. When we made it back to our house, Kev reached into his pocket for his keys and discovered…no keys. I didn’t have my purse or keys since I had checked with Kev and since we were just at home all day, Matthew didn’t have his keys on him either, although he normally would. We were locked out of the house.

Kev called his parents to see if they had a key and after taking a bit of time to look, his mother responded in the negative. I have never given my parents a key, so calling them was not an option. Daniel has a key, but he is living in Logan so that would be a long wait for us. We did the rounds of the house, considering our options, and finally decided that we were going to need to break into our own house. Breaking a doorknob seemed to be the cheapest and easiest way to gain entry to our humble home, so we headed to a neighbor’s house to borrow some tools. We ended up crashing their family gathering, but that meant we got two helpers for the price of one: one who had successfully picked a lock once or twice and another who had a drill and knew how to use it. The less destructive option was the first one we tried, but the screwdriver, bobby pin, and credit card were not successful. Seriously, it’s not as easy as the movies make it look which is actually a good thing. The second option was drilling out the doorknob and after a few minutes, a broken drill bit and a few sparks, we were back in the house. 

In the entire time that we have been married, and that is twenty-three years as of yesterday, this is the first time Kevin and I have locked ourselves out of the house. We feel like that is a pretty good record. And Kev has been considering rekeying the house anyway since the doorknob we bought when we moved in could only be installed upside down. So overall, it was a humorous experience, one created by all of us, and we are laughing rather than cussing about the whole thing. And since only the bottom knob was locked, not the deadbolt, we can still secure the house until Kev can get to Home Depot later this week. An additional perk is the fact that when Nathan calls tomorrow and asks what is happening here, we will actually have something to tell him. 😂

No comments: