Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Monday, April 4, 2022

A Lifelong Learner

As the weather has warmed, the birds have returned to our yard. While most of them are indistinguishable from one another, we have one robin that we always recognize. He is the biggest, fattest robin any of us have ever seen, and he comes back every year. I think he has a nest in one of our backyard neighbors’ trees. When our chubby buddy returns, we know that spring is in full swing.

In celebration of spring and in anticipation of our celebration of Easter in a few weeks, this evening’s FHE treat falls in the category of fun food. I love coconut macaroons and figured this would be the perfect time to create some macaroon nests. I haven’t had macaroons for years, largely due to the fact that most macaroon recipes use egg whites to bind everything together, so I was test driving a new recipe as well. It is a recipe that uses sweetened condensed milk instead of eggs to act as the “glue” in the recipe. While standard sweetened condensed milk is also a no-no around here, I picked up a can of sweetened condensed coconut milk figuring it would be an easy swap. Therein lies my hubris because all things did not go according to plan. 

The dairy version of sweetened condensed milk comes in a 14 ounce can while the coconut one is only 11 ounces. I did some math to make the ratio of ingredients the same and set to work without any second thoughts. Non-dairy substitutes don’t always act the same way their lactose infused counterparts do however, and I did not take that into consideration. I formed my little nests and tucked them into the oven to bake. Eleven minutes later, I opened the oven and discovered with dismay that all my carefully created nests had melted into one giant puddle on the cookie sheet. I pulled them out, already pondering on how things had gone awry. Clearly the mixture was too wet to hold its shape, so I scraped all the nests on the second, unbaked tray back into my mixing bowl, added more flour and coconut in an attempt to save the remainder of the cookies, and popped them into the oven with fingers crossed. While the second batch baked, I did my best to scoop the first ones back into nest shape and stuck them in the fridge to see if they would set up.

When the oven timer went off the second time, my results were much better. The nests looked just as they should, were lightly touched with golden brown, and smelled delicious. The ones in the fridge, however, were still a mess. While they had set up a bit in the cool of the fridge, they were still so gooey that they stuck to the parchment paper they were sitting on. In fact, they were so wet that I began to wonder if I could add the additional ingredients and save the cookies. I figured that they were already a total failure, so doing some mad doctoring wasn’t going to make things any worse and might make them better. I grabbed my bench cutter, scraped the goo back into the bowl, added the additional ingredients, dropped the whole experiment into the oven, and crossed my fingers. 

Fifteen minutes later, I was pleased to discover that my culinary experiment was a complete success. It would seem that baking the sweetened condensed milk only made it a little more condensed and without any leavening in the recipe, it acted just the same as if it had never been in the oven. The twice baked batch looked just like the once baked ones, and they all looked pretty much like the pictures on the internet. 

I had taken careful notes of what I had added and with things working out well, I proceeded to write up the recipe so it could be duplicated in the future. As I compared my final recipe with the original one, I realized that it was nearly identical to the original, the only difference being a slightly smaller can of sweetened condensed coconut milk instead of a standard sized can of the dairy version. 🤦 Apparently, the canned food gods know better than I and taking their differences into consideration, in their sweetened condensed versions 11 ounces of coconut milk acts the same as 14 ounces of normal milk. After fifteen years of dairy and egg free baking, there are clearly still things for me to learn.

Mad scientist impressions aside, the macaroons were incredibly tasty. They are the moist, soft kind of macaroons that I love. With just a touch of melted white chocolate (dairy free, of course) and a few jellybeans, they make darling little nests. My kids loved them too. Kev is not a fan of coconut when it is all that he can taste, so they weren’t his favorite treat ever, but that’s ok. Oh, and of course we had to make one nest of dragon eggs, just for Malia. 😉






No comments: