One of the fun things about having a missionary is the planning and sending of creative packages. I try not to send things that will make my missionaries super homesick or keep them focused on home rather than where they are. Yes, there are going to be times when they miss home, but I try to be as upbeat and supportive as possible to help them remember they are in the right place doing the right thing, but that we think about them, and they are loved. With Daniel, I tried to send about one package a month and that is kind of my goal with Nathan as well. With the package guidelines in his mission that come due to some somewhat dishonest practices concerning package delivery in Texas, we need to send his packages extra early to make sure they get to him on time. That means Malia (my package co-creator) and I are already working on his Easter package.
At Easter I really try to keep things focused on the Savior. We have never really done the Easter Bunny thing, instead choosing to give our kids some kind of reminder of the Savior along with their chocolate bunnies and jellybeans. As such, Nathan will have a religious gift in his package, but I wanted to include some fun stuff as well. He will get a chocolate bunny and some Cadbury chocolate eggs as well as an advent calendar of sorts that will walk him through the last week of the Savior’s life. And of course, there need to be some Peeps. We always have a few Peeps at Easter. If nothing else, they make pretty good smore’s and it is fun to watch them explode in the microwave. But normal Peeps are pretty boring and the special edition flavors have a tendency to be pretty appalling. (This year’s limited-edition flavors appear to be doughnut shop coffee and Hot Tamales. Gross.) However, the internet provided me a perfect way to up my Peeps game.
As usual, today’s kitchen creation can once again be attributed to Pinterest. Malia and I had a great time creating these little missionaries and included enough that Nathan can share with his fellow servants of the Lord. I hope they make him smile.
No comments:
Post a Comment