While yesterday ended up being a big wildlife day, today was all about the geothermal events and magnificent views in Yellowstone. (Let me state right off the bat, though, that I learned some things yesterday and was smart enough to slather on the sunscreen.) Our destination for the day was the “Grand Canyon” of Yellowstone and Yellowstone Falls. We stopped at several spots and the views were magnificent. Everyone was snapping pictures like crazy, although they did stop long enough for Kevin to take some pictures of the kids in addition to the scenery. Once again, we found ourselves working around the Asian tourists who just pushed in whenever and wherever they felt like. (Yes, I know I’m technically Asian, but I was born in Provo and find myself constrained by typical U.S. social mores which means I have a tendency to stand in lines wherever I am, even if there is no particular goal in sight.)
When we got to Artist Point, we discovered that the viewpoint is aptly named. There was a gentleman who had set up his easel for the day and was working on a watercolor rendition of the spectacle. Malia was absolutely fascinated. She asked questions and I answered them as best I could. The artist, finding himself being observed, was most kind about the attention. Malia does have some real artistic skill, not something she inherited from me, and she told me that she wants to be an artist when she grows up.
After the falls and lunch, we stopped at Norris Geyser Basin. We didn’t take time to walk the entire loop, but it was still a remarkable sight.
We stopped in West Yellowstone for dinner, spun the gastronomical roulette wheel, and ended up at a little Italian place where we proceeded to eat some really good pizza. The pasta was good too, but the pizza was outstanding. If it were even remotely close to home, it is a place I would most definitely visit again. For dessert we stopped at a little sidewalk stand where they were making homemade ice cream. Daniel and Nathan had followed the aroma of freshly made waffles cones after dinner on Monday night and were so exuberant about the fantastic ice cream that we decided a parental visit was in order. The ice cream churns were right behind the stand, so the ice cream was most definitely freshly made. We opted to indulge in huckleberry ice cream, the regional flavor of choice. It was delicious. In fact, I think we might have just become huckleberry addicts. We may have to revisit the area just for the huckleberries.
We spent the remainder of the evening playing games and doing crafts with my sibs and their families. I find its kind of hard to get everyone to go to sleep at a halfway decent time, myself included. I guess that’s what vacation if for though. Party and play for a week and then crash once we get home!




No comments:
Post a Comment