Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Princess for a Week

It has been princess central around here for the past ten days. Malia has had a birthday and this year was the year we threw a princess party. In fact, we invited her friends to come to princess school so they could all learn to be royalty and earn their tiaras. We practiced waving a wand, dancing, making a bracelet, kissing a frog and defending ourselves (against a piñata). The girls wore their fancy gowns and they did, in fact, all earn their tiaras. Malia’s cake of choice was a super simple strawberry cupcake cake, but she was very pleased with how it turned out.




This month’s birthday table day at the elementary was on Malia’s actual birthday which made it even more exciting for her. School had not started for Nathan (though it had for everyone else), so he got to attend as well. We took her a lunch from Carl’s Jr. and even though she was totally hyped, she managed to eat up all her food.


After lunch, Nathan helped me pick out some balloons for her, and I think she was pleased with our selection:


Her presents from us were given that evening. She was happy about the princess Lego from Daniel and Nathan.

She was spazy about the tiara from Kevin and I.
(Yup, that’s my girl-equal parts girly girl, tom boy and spaz.)

The musical jewelry box from us was also entrancing.


But Matthew totally won the “who can choose the best present for Malia” award with his selection of a scooter of her very own.

This past Sunday was her cake day at my parents’ house. She opted for the blueberry cupcake cake for this one. She was also excited to be able to celebrate with her cousin Kate since Kate had been out of town for her princess party.




Even Jolly has had an opportunity to be royalty for a day.


I’ve about had my fill of princess stuff for now, but Malia has loved all of it. She’s such a perfect blend of interests that I’m happy to indulge her inner princess from time to time knowing that she’s going to alternate princess time with baseball time or football time or scooter time…she’s well rounded and a perfect fit for our crazy family.

Here is a translation of Malia’s birthday interview in case your reading of phonetic writing is rusty:

My nicknames are: Squeaker Pants
If I could change my name, it would be: Dot
When I grow up I want to be: a mom
My best friend is: Raylee
My favorite thing to do with my family is: Play games
This is what makes me happy: Playing house
This is what makes me sad: Falling
My favorite thing about school is: recess
The thing I’m best at is: the weed (??? When I asked Malia about this, she couldn’t even remember what it was supposed to mean. She decided her new answer was “to read” which is probably a better answer because I’m pretty sure child protective services would take her away if she was really doing weed. 😉)
If I had a million dollars I would: cheer
If I could go anywhere, I would go: To Space
If I had one wish, I would wish for: I want to be anything
For breakfast, I like to eat: cereal
My favorite thing to do outside is: ride my scooter
My favorite thing to wear is: dresses
Before I fall asleep, I think about: is I read books
My favorite birthday present was: a singing bird

My Favorites
Food: spaghetti
Holiday: Christmas
Book: Another Monster at the End of This Book
Toy: doll
Treat: cookies
Song: I Am a Child of God
Animal: tiger
Movie: Narnia
Color: red
Sport: football
T.V. Show: Sophia

No comments: