Unfortunately, having a big stack of extra slats meant that there was a gap in the blinds just above where the pile started and more unfortunately, the gap in the bedroom blinds was at just the exact wrong spot and a street light shone right through that little gap and right into my eyes when I faced that direction while trying to sleep at night. I ignored it for a good long while and then last week I had had enough. I went looking for instructions for shortening the blinds and when I discovered how ridiculously easy it is, I felt stupid for not doing it sooner.
Stupid or not, I’ve spent the past week taking the extra slats out of the blinds. It doesn’t take long, just 10-20 minutes depending on how wide the blinds are, so I snuck it in around my normal household tasks. Each set of blinds had anywhere from four to fourteen extra slats. I’ve finished all twelve sets now (minus the ones in the garage because those ones are guaranteed to be all spidery and I’m so not dealing with that) and the total count for slats removed is 93.
Before
After
Extra
Getting this particular task done gave me a feeling of accomplishment. I did things like assemble my own furniture and simple repairs before I got married, but since then Kev has been around to do it so I haven’t needed to. But it’s nice to know that I can. :-)
Now we just have to figure out what to do with 93 extra slats.



1 comment:
We've lived in our house for over 8 years now and I still have extra slats sitting at the bottom of most of my blinds. It's probably time to take care of that, yes? It's just...when we first moved in we told ourselves that we'd upgrade to the fancy shutters in 5 years. Obviously that didn't happen. And though it is still on my list of things to-do...there are other upgrades or repairs that are higher up on the list. Nice to know that taking care of that extra pile of slats is not too hard. Maybe I need to just do it, considering it'll likely be another few years before we get around to replacing the blinds with anything fancier. Sigh.
Post a Comment