I'm not a huge fan of potty
training. I'm not sure that anyone is, but having a couple of kids who were
enormously tough to train has really made it unpleasant for me. Which means I've been pretty stressed about the whole thing. I don't want any repeat performances of the power struggles and drama that accompanied the training of some of my boys. I've had tons
of other moms tell me that the "naked weekend" approach is super and
works like a charm. All the mommy bloggers I've come across rave about it and
go on and on about how pull-ups are the epitome of evil. So I figured I'd give
it a try.
This morning we got Malia all
dressed and into her brand new big girl panties. She is seriously excited about
the panties (Anna, Elsa, princesses, and even Olaf!) so this was a big deal. We
set a timer and headed to the bathroom about half a dozen times with no
results. So we sat her down, fed her breakfast (lots of juice included) and I
figured we were on our way. I was prepared for lots of accidents so the first
one was no surprise to me. But Malia was a bit upset and once we cleaned
everything up, she asked to have plastic pants on top of her panties. That
should have been my first hint that things were not going to go well...
We reset the timer, but Malia
did not even make it ten minutes before she was wet again. And she continued to
wet herself every 5-10 minutes.I know that she can stay dry longer than that,
so I was a bit concerned about how things were progressing. One hour and six
pairs of panties later, she asked for a pull-up and I was happy to oblige. My
normally happy and chatty 2 year old was totally stressed out and anxious. When
I get totally stressed out and anxious, one of the results is that I have to
pee every five minutes. And I suspected that I was seeing the same thing in
Malia.
Once she was in the pull-up, we
reset the timer and 15 minutes later Malia was back in the bathroom, still dry,
and peed in the potty. Forty-five minutes later, we had a repeat performance.
And Malia was smiling and laughing again.
After we switched tactics,
Malia did better. She was dry more often and her mood was greatly improved. We
have a long way to go seeing as this was only the first day, but she’ll get
there when she gets there. And hopefully that will be in time for preschool.
I'm sure that potty boot camp
works for some kids and moms, but that is clearly not going to work for us.
Sometimes slow and steady really does win the prize. It may take us a little
longer to say Malia is actually trained, but I have no problem with that as
long as my child is happy and her bladder is not doing a splendid imitation of a
nervous chihuahua.
1 comment:
Potty training....ugh! So glad I'm past that stage. So sorry you are having to deal with it! Funny thing...I thought nothing could be worse than teaching a child to use the potty...until I had to teach a teenager to drive. Not all parents may agree but for me anyhow, driving is worse than potty training. Go figure! All the same, I don't envy you! Good luck with Malia!
Post a Comment