Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Friday, May 2, 2014

Please Hold the Cheese

Pizza is not something that Matthew gets all that often. Before today, I think he’s only had it once when he was around 2 years old. It was homemade, of course, and he didn’t really like it. And homemade pizza is kind of a lot of work so since he wouldn’t eat it, I didn’t bother with all the work again.

In the last couple of years, I’ve tried a lot of new recipes in an attempt to get out of the food rut we fall into. Eating the same five or six dinners week in and week out because that is what the kids want gets really old really fast. So I make new things and let them decide whether we keep the recipe or toss it. As they have gotten older, there are more and more recipes that they decide we can keep. The newest keeper is less a recipe than an idea gleaned from pinterest combined with recipes we already know we like. Tonight we had homemade calzones. I used an easy pizza sauce recipe I’ve used in the past and my favorite super-fast French bread recipe for the crust. Every person got to make their own so they got to choose their fillings which leads to less complaining. Nathan and Matthew decided they needed to make small individual pizzas instead of calzones and I was fine with that. Matthew made his before the cheese came out and we baked it on a separate cookie to keep everything safe for him. Even without cheese, Matthew loved his pizza. We will definitely be doing this again.

No comments: