Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Thursday, April 10, 2014

The Birds

A couple of weeks ago whenever she happened to notice a bird, Malia started holding out her hand, palm up, and telling me she wanted the bird to land in her hand. I was a bit perplexed by this seemingly random desire until I started thinking about her fascination with all things princess. As I began to recall some of the movies we’ve watched recently, I began to notice a theme. Cinderella: birds singing, washing, sewing, etc. Beauty and the Beast: a handful of birdseed=bird in the hand. Mirror, Mirror: a bird hops in the window and eats a seed right out of Snow White’s hand. Enchanted: yup, birds all over this one. So it seems that Malia’s innate desire to be a princess has led to an intense desire to hold a bird. However, I’m pretty sure that if the seagull or crow that she thinks she wants to land on her hand actually did so, the result would be more Hitchcock than Disney.

In other news, Malia is terrified of spiders and I swear I did not teach it to her in spite of the fact that spiders rank right up there with mice on my loathing scale. She does the whole girly shrieking with terror thing. If I didn’t find spiders so off putting myself, it would be kind of funny.

No comments: