Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Like Mother, Like Daughter

Today was Malia’s blessing day.  She got to wear the same dress I wore when I was blessed.  It was considerably yellowed due to the fact that I wore it nearly 38 years ago, but a good soak in oxyclean brought it to if not quite white, at least a very respectable ivory.  She’s also sporting the same hairdo I had.

(Shauna 1974)

(Malia 2011)

She was very well behaved during the blessing, not crying at all.  Of course, it probably helped that Kev told all of our priesthood holders not to bounce her like crazy.  And she managed to keep her white dress clean all day which is quite a feat for a two month old.

Malia is a little charmer and has quite a few of us completely wrapped around her finger.  As always, her brothers simply can’t get enough.  Nathan was disappointed that I wouldn’t let him hold Malia as she was being passed around.  I told him that we get her every day so it would be nice if we let everyone else have a turn with her.  I hope he still likes her as much when she is a few years older and following him around…


It was wonderful to have so many of our family members here to celebrate Malia’s special day with us.  We ate good food, had good laughs, enjoyed each other’s company and only had to turn the water to the house back on once.  (There are a lot of little boys in my family and this is not the first time we’ve had to make a dash to the basement to see which knob they’ve turned.)  It seems like these occasions when we all get together don’t happen often enough!

2 comments:

Tiff Keetch said...

She's adorable!!

And Avery is going to wear my blessing dress as well. (Yay for sentimental hand-me-downs!)

sweetlissybug said...

I think that is so cool that she got to wear your blessing dress. Maybe her daughter will get to wear it, too, and it can be a really cool tradition. She's so adorable. I love that last one with her little smile.