Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Monday, April 11, 2011

Growth Trickle

This morning Matthew scampered into my bathroom, held up his arm and exclaimed, “Look how much skin I have!”  I thought, “Huh??”  What I said was, “Wow.  You do have a lot of skin.”  Once he had my confirmation of the hugeness of his skin, he explained further: “It’s because I’m growing!!”

Now, here’s the back story:  Last night Matthew jumped on the scale and we discovered that he is finally big enough for a booster seat.  He is thrilled beyond belief.  He is four after all, a pretty ripe age to still be in the car seat.  Daniel and Nathan both outgrew the car seat at age two but it has taken Matthew a whole lot longer to put on the necessary weight.  Unlike the other boys, he doesn't exactly have growth spurts.  It's more like growth trickles.  So he is ecstatic about the fact that he has managed to eke out enough poundage to be in a big boy seat.  In about six more weeks Nathan will turn eight and will finally be able to ditch the aforementioned “big boy seat.”  And then we will be down to one child seat in the car.  It’s going to be downright roomy in the backseat.  Of course, the “anti-fighting barrier” that is the arm of the car seat will no longer exist between Nathan and Matthew, so the extra room may not seem like such a perk in a week or two…

1 comment:

Sarah@The Best Stuff said...

What is the necessary weight? Lilian is still in a car seat, obviously, being the tiny little 3 year old that she is...but it's been so long since I've had one this age and I know guidelines/recommendations change...