Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Yuletide Medley

This morning Matthew informed me that he needed to listen to Christmas music.  I tried to convince him otherwise since it is not even Thanksgiving yet, but anyone who knows Matthew can readily predict that it was an exercise in futility.  So I turned on Rockapella’s Christmas album.  It is like Christmas “lite,” most of the songs being written just for them with very few old standards.  I figured that would satisfy him since it is one of our favorite albums around the holidays.  Matthew put up with that for exactly 2.5 songs and then he told me it was the wrong music, he needed Jingle Bells.  And the version of Jingle Bells he likes best is sung by Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra.  That is definitely hard-core Christmas music.

So I caved in and gave him the good stuff.  I admit it.  I let my three year old do Christmas music.  It was easier than arguing that I was feeling Scroogey and needed to eat turkey before I could be ready for holiday tunes.  But Christmas music is like an addiction and once he jingled his bells he wanted the “Fa la la song.”  So we Decked the Halls.  And then he was ready for Rudolph.  Right now we are Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree and before you know it we’ll be Roasting Chestnuts and taking Sleigh Rides.

And then I realized that I was having an inexplicable craving for peppermint and was seeing reindeer . . .

(Sorry it's so blurry.  One of my offspring changed the camera from auto focus to manual focus without me knowing and since Matthew is in no way cooperative concerning pictures lately, as soon as he realized I had the camera out he hightailed it into the other room.  There are no second chances for photo ops with him right now.)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Matthew and I must be kindred spirits. I started listening to Christmas music on Tuesday too. I told myself I was going to wait but I needed to feel the Christmas spirit early.

Marilyn Barney said...

He'll be ready for Handel really soon! Or maybe, we should try some Primary Christmas music first.

Holt's in da House said...

Add a little Andy Williams to that mix. I think he's probably quick enough to pick up Handel! THAT would be AWESOME! Let's do that! :)