In spite of all that, I managed to get all the costumes ready (barely) and the boys made it to all their activities. I finished up the last costume pieces at 4:15 on Thursday afternoon and the boys were ready to go for their school parade and parties on Friday morning. Daniel also had a short fourth grade Halloween program where I heard a new song that made me giggle:
“My Darlin’ Frankenstein” (To the tune of “My Darlin’ Clementine”)
In my laboratory fine,
When one day I broke my glasses
And I made poor Frankenstein.
He was charming, he was handsome,
And I nailed his head on tight.
Oh, his teeth were sharp and pearly
And his eyes came out at night.
Oh, his nose, I made it quickly
From a rotten apple core,
And his tongue was big and purple
And it hung down to the floor.
Chorus:
Oh, my darling, oh, my darling,
Oh, my darling Frankenstein.
You are lost and gone forever
I’m so sorry, Frankenstein!
Helping me out in the kitchen
We were baking up a cake,
When he fell into the mixture
And got mixed up by mistake.
Baking nicely in the oven,
Oh, the cake, it turned out fine.
Told my friends those lumps were raisins,
But those lumps were Frankenstein!
Chorus:
Oh, my darling, oh, my darling,
Oh, my darling Frankenstein.
You are lost and gone forever
I’m so sorry, Frankenstein!
Although we had intended to carve our pumpkins on Monday, that didn’t happen so I took the boys to the pumpkin patch on Friday afternoon. Friday evening we attended our ward Fall Festival where the boys played games for prizes that were mainly non-food items, which I was very pleased about. Not only did the boys not need a bunch more sugar, but it meant that Matthew got to participate in everything but the cupcake decorating.
Saturday was definitely a Halloweeny day. We started the day with ghost pancakes. Nathan liked the chocolate parts the best.
In the afternoon we finally got our pumpkins carved. Daniel carved an owl, Nathan carved Frankenstein, and Matthew wanted just a jack-o-lantern.
Our traditional spooky dinner consisted of hot mummies and haunted greens. It is a bit hard to tell, but all the croutons were Halloween shapes. Matthew was excited about our “monster dinner” for days because he helped me go shopping for the ingredients on Wednesday morning.
After dinner the boys got into their costumes and braved the rain to go trick-or-treating. Matthew even deigned to get his picture taken after both Daniel and Nathan posed for their photo ops. I wasn’t even going to try, but when Nathan was done Matthew announced, “It’s my turn!” I got one great shot before he started pulling faces and after about four photos he declared that he was done and walked away. But at least he let me take pictures of his face!
So our weekend ended with all of us well-fed, only slightly sugared-up, and mostly healthy.









1 comment:
Your Halloween dinner looks delicious! I need to know what's inside those mummies. The kids look so cute in their costumes! I love Halloween!
Post a Comment