Today was Matthew’s Halloween party at preschool. One of his teacher’s traditions is to make Monster Stew. Each child was assigned to bring an item to add to the stew and since Matthew has so many food issues, I pared down the recipe to feed one and provided all the ingredients for his stew. Several days ago we measured everything out and put each ingredient in its own ziplock bag so he could make his stew at school. Then we put all the little bags into one big bag and I sent him to stick it in his backpack. When I arrived at preschool today to help him make his stew, I found crow eyes floating around in the big bag. I thought I must not have zipped up the bag tightly until I discovered there were only two raw fish left, about half the dragon hearts, and just more than half of the squishy worms. When I asked Matthew if it was him or someone else, he readily admitted that he helped himself to his ingredients before school rolled around. (Sigh) At least he knows when eating things on the sly to only eat foods that have been "Mama certified" as "Matthew friendly." If he isn't sure it is safe, he never eats it without asking.
His other "turkey" moments for the morning included shucking off his costume as soon as he was in the door at preschool (they always take off coats and boots so I can see his logic in this one since he was wearing a fire fighter coat and boots) and refusing to stand with the other kids for a class photo of everyone in their costumes. He tried to sneak off into the background while the others happily stood together in the pink rectangle.
At least I never have to be concerned that he won't know what he wants out of life. He always knows exactly what he wants, often much to my chagrin.



No comments:
Post a Comment