It takes a lot of hard work, trial and error, and outright failure to become a domestic goddess. And most household divas aren’t even trying to bake their way to greatness without using milk, eggs, or nuts of any kind. So I will be the first to admit that while the majority of things that come out of my kitchen are quite tasty, there is definitely a learning curve for creating greatness with soy.
This week has been full of moments that are bound to make me a better goddess . . . eventually. After our stressful Sunday, we spent Monday doing nothing more productive than making pie. I mean, anyone who spends the night wondering if their house is going to burn down deserves pie the next day, right? So Nathan and I ventured out just long enough to pick up a can of pumpkin and we made pie. However, this was my first attempt at egg and milk free pumpkin pie and while the results were palatable, they were definitely not stellar. But “not stellar” would be a compliment for the non-dairy cool whip substitute I attempted to accompany the pie. All I had to show for that experiment was an enormous mess. And the soy yogurt I tried to make yesterday was an abysmal failure. But since this is the first time I’ve tried to make yogurt of any kind, I don’t know if it was the soy products that messed everything up or just me.
So after a week full of learning experiences (It’s not really failure as long as I learn from it, right?), I had an emotional need to create something blissful. One of my new favorite websites yielded a recipe for a delightful fall confection: half apple crisp, half apple pie, all delicious.
And it was. So overall, I would call this week a success.

1 comment:
Glad to see you are still trying things. I found a whole case of pumpkin and we will be doing more in a few weeks so you will have more materials to experiment with.
Post a Comment